Re: [LARTC] Problems at end of slow satelite link

On Thursday 06 March 2003 17:33, Ben Clewett wrote:
> Newbe hoping this is the correct area to post.
>
> I've been reading the LARTC HOWTO, but at 110 pages, I am finding it
> difficult to know where to start.  I hope you may be able to surgest a
> starting place to a couple of problems I am having.
>
> I am dealing with the slow end of a satelite ADSL.  This is 'lumpy',
> with huge latency (1 to 30 sec), 10% dropped packets, huge but
> intermittent bursts of packets, and generally a pile of poo.   The
> supplier (BT) is of course no help, so we have to live with what we have.
>
> I have tried limiting the bandwidth with a Tocket Bucket Filter with
> almost no effect.
>
> What I think I need is to agressivelly schedule SSH and Telnet before
> all other TCP connections.  Others I don't care about.  There are I see
> many scheduling options, can any member surgest how I might atchive this?
>
> The second problem I have is that my connection keeps terminating
> (Telnet, SSH) with 'Connection closed by foreign host', with no message
> in logs.  Always during streaming of data.  Some part of the kernel is
> getting tired of waiting for the other end to respond, or possible a
> buffer overflow?  Again, if any member may surgest how this can be
> countered with extream predudice, I would be extreamly greatful.
I think it's best you create a htb setup with different classes.  One of the
classes needs a higher priority so the packets in that classes are send
first.  Next you need to put the ssh/telnet/syn/ack packets in that classes.
All needed information can be found in the LARTC howto.  And you can also
find more info on www.docum.org.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx