[LARTC] Kind of curious:

Kind of curious:

What would I need to install/patch to build a bandwidth router? The
purpose of the router would be to limit sets of STATIC ip ranges to
various up/down speeds for testing purposes.

Example.
192.168.2.4-9   @ 28.8
192.168.2.10-15 @ 56.6k
192.168.2.16-21 @ 128k
192.168.2.22-25 @ 256k
192.168.2.26-30 @ 512k

I have used Allot's bandwidth router in a similar manner to evaluate
a partners product. (They wanted their router back :-( ) Anyways I
was curious if it would be possible to build my own linux router for
this purpose and what would I need to install - compile - or patch.

I am planning on using Gentoo as the base system so I can put
everything I need in the Kernel as I install the system. Problem is I
am not sure what to add to the kernel to make this Idea possible. Or
even where to find a working example similar to what I want to do
with my router.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

The part 2 portion of the idea would be to have different iptables
rules for some of the ip ranges that don't have their bandwidth
limited...

Again to futher torture the client side applications we test.

Thanks in advance,
James