 : hostA: 192.168.0.1/24
 :
 : routerB: 192.168.0.2/24
 :               192.228.118.2/24
 :
 : routeC: 192.168.0.3/24
 :             192.228.110.3/24
 :
 : Given the hostA is rather dumb and that we can only configure one
 : default route, and that we have defaulted the route to B. In order
 : for A to be able to access C's external network, we configure
 : a U-turn route at B, ie the packet hop onto B and then re-forwarded
 : on the same interface to C.
 :
 : Is this something commonly done ? Any issue with it ?

There is no problem with this.  This is not uncommon--typically, router B
will generate an ICMP redirect bound for host A, causing host A (if it
accepts redirects) to create a route (cache) entry for the destination.

If you wish traffic to move through routerB at all times, you can suppress
and/or enable the generation of redirects with the sysctl
net/ipv4/conf/$DEV/send_redirects [1] toggle.  If host A is a linux box,
you can also see if it will net/ipv4/conf/$DEV/accept_redirects

I have occasionally seen peculiar TCP resets as a result of ICMP redirects
not handled correctly be machines in the position of host A, but it causes
no problem for routers and should pose no problem for end hosts.

-Martin

 [1]  http://ipsysctl-tutorial.frozentux.net/ipsysctl-tutorial.html#AEN630
 [2]  http://ipsysctl-tutorial.frozentux.net/ipsysctl-tutorial.html#AEN574

--