[LARTC] 'tc' locked my machine...

Newbe...

I am following the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO, as I am having difficulty with a satelite ADSL connection.

Section 9.2.2.2 describes a case identicle to mine, and surgests throttle using 'tc'. On a test machine I entered:

# tc qdisc add dev eth1 root btf rate 64kbit latency 50ms burst 1500

When I enter 'tc qdisc show' I get:

disc tbf 8001: dev eth1 rate 64Kbit burst 1499b lat 60.9ms

But, I now find my ftp failes. In either direction. It creates a file of 0 bytes, then stalles for ever more.

Also I have no 'man tc' and I can't remove this entry in any logical way (like with 'tc qdisc del dev eth1') I can think of.

Can anybody please let me know how I get ftp to work with the Token Bucket Filter, and how to remove the entry once it's been entered...

Thanks greatly in advance,

Ben

PS, kernel 2.4.19