Re: [LARTC] more bridging + qos confusion

<bill-the-cat-sound> Ack!  I meant to say:

   "It sounds like you are running bridging without the netfilter hooks."

But, of course, you understood what I meant.

 : No, I'm not running with ebtables+nf support. From what I understand
 : (and please correct me if I'm wrong), patching the kernel with
 : ebtables+bridge-nf, you get an ebtables table with BROUTING, FORWARD,
 : and NAT chains which you can match traffic on.
 :
 : However, I need to match traffic in the mangles table, so the ebtables
 : table won't help me.

In order for you to be able to use iptables *at all* with the bridging
code, you need the bridge+nf patch(es).

 :  (a) If I add the bridge-nf + ebtables patches, will I be able to match
 :      traffic on OUTPUT/FORWARD/POSTROUTING in the mangle table?

Good question.  I haven't used the OUTPUT and POSTROUTING chains, but I
have used the FORWARD chain on a bridge+nf installation.  I think the link
you forwarded to this list earlier today [1] shows the sequence of
netfilter hook traversal, but assumes that you are running bridge+nf.

 :  (b) Why does netfilter not currently see the traffic even though a tcpdump
 :      on eth0/eth1 shows all the traffic passing through the interfaces?

See above....

-Martin

 [1]  http://www.sparkle-cc.co.uk/firewall/firewall.html

--