Re: [LARTC] What failover solution for advanced router ?

Tomasz,

Have you looked at keepalived?  It has a rich feature set, is actively
maintained, and can function strictly as a VRRPD.

One intelligent aspect of design allows for two routers to be in active
use each functioning as a backup for the other.

It sounds like your situation is rather complex, but I imagine with some
creativity, you could configure keepalived to your advantage.

  http://www.keepalived.org/
  http://www.keepalived.org/pdf/UserGuide.pdf

I'd recommend reading the user's guide for some ideas.  Given your
description here, I'd suggest reading section X (Case Study) very
carefully.

Good luck,

-Martin

 : Hello,
 :
 :  Could someone experienced suggest good solution for failover
 :  advanced router ?
 :
 :  The router for which I need redundancy is quite complex:
 :  1) has 5 interfaces
 :  2) uses the same network and the other network IP aliases on some interfaces
 :  3) uses bunch of policy routing rules
 :  4) uses proxyarp feature on some interfaces
 :  5) uses complex iptables setup [propably not important in this issue].
 :
 :  What I need to achieve is basic failover, I do not criticaly need
 :  transparency failover.
 :
 :  I found some docs about ip_takeover with fake utility but
 :  propably it has too weak features [and uses old ifconfig]. Also found vrrpd tool but
 :  I am confused if I can really depend on it for such a "multithread" configuration.
 :  Finally I consider using Heartbeat with set of scripts for "manual"
 :  bringing up all interfaces on preconfigured spare router in case of
 :  primary one fails.
 :
 :  I would be very gratefull for some discuss about proper solution for my
 :  case.
 :
 :
 : Regards,