Re: [LARTC] Conflict in designing HTB tree...

On Thursday 27 February 2003 22:52, Leszek A. Szczepanowski wrote:
> I have 1024 Mbit link to Internet.
> This link is shared by 3 LANs on my linux box.
> And now - I have to design that these 3 LANs
> gets some fragment of bandwidth. For example,
> rates are: 128/384/512. Ceil is always at link speed.
> I keep rule from FAQ on www.docum.org, which learn
> us: sum of childs rates <= ceil of parent.
> But if I define 3 classes based of customer conception
> (paying for desired bandwidth), where is place for
> creating some interactive classes for traffic like ICMP,
> ACK responses and so on ? If I define next class, give it
> highest priority, rate of 512 kbit, this exceeds rule from
> FAQ, because 128+384+512+512 is not 1024 at all ;-)
You can do this.  But then it's possible that you are sending more data then
your link can handle.  This is not problem, but it's possible that use some
control over the bandwidth and that your latency goes up (modem queue will be
filled).

> So, how to resolve this kind of problem ? Or better I have
> to change conception, and assume that I must create all kind
> of classes (interactive, for big traffic and others) WITHIN
> parent customer classes, on 'per customer' basis ?
Indeed.  You can create extra classes within the the customer class so you can
give some packets a higher priority.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx