Re: [LARTC] IMQ, HTB and four ext. and two int. phy dev.

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 13:48, Kjell Chris Flor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Q1: How does IMQ know what phy devices it is a "mother" for?
>
> I read the manual, faq and source, but fail to see how.
>
> The closest I get is when reading source where it sais
> that IMQ makes it possible to use classes to refer to
> phy. dev. but I'm not able to see this relation in examples
> where IMQ is used.
>
> Who can help me understand this?
>
> What I want to do is to use HTB, StaticRoute and IPtables
> to shape traffic on four (or more) adsl lines, to one (or more)
> LAN subnet with private addresses.
So you have 4 ADSL lines and 1 ethernet connection.  The load balancing of the
4 ADSL lines can be done if you NAT the traffic (you need some extra patches
to do so).
You can add a imq device and put all traffic entering the etherhet connection
in it.  So you can shape the traffic that your users are sending to the
internet.
You can add a second imq device and put all traffic in coming from the 4 ADSL
connections.  Create 4 classes and put the traffic for each ADSL lines in
it's own class so you can control how many traffic each ADSL can send.
Controlling the download of your users can be done on the LAN interface.

> Q2: When should I use SFQ instead of pFIFO?
SFQ creates a hash table with the combinatoin of dst/src en dst-port/src-port
as hash key.  Each entry in the hash table has the same chance to send
something.  So each flow is threathen eaqually.
pfifo is a qdisc where each packet that enters the qdisc is queued.  So there
is no re-order of the packets.  That's the default qdisc.

> Q3: Is it possible to patch 2.4.20 with connbytes patch after
> I allready did patch it with StaticRoute?
Don't know.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx