Re: [LARTC] Test tool - traffic generator.

On Friday 21 February 2003 08:16, Emmanuel Guiton wrote:
> >mgen.  UDP only, though.
> >
> >http://manimac.itd.nrl.navy.mil/MGEN/
>
> Well, as Stef said, anyway that's why I need (because UDP won't ask for
> replies)
> However, the problem I encountered with MGEN is that it does not accept
> to blindly send udp packets: it first try to resolve the address of the
> remote station (which in my case does not exist).
> As I was away, I've just started again to look seriously at the problem
> so I still have to try Bartek and Ashok solutions.
> Up to know, I've discarded:
>    - linux's kernel traffic generator: it bypasses traffic control
>    - ttcp because TCP does not suit in my case
>    - tg: because of an installation error :) Too lazy to even check in
> the documentation if it worths tring to install it.
>    - mgen: as I said above, it doesn't accept to blindly sens udp
> packets but first try to resolve the remote address
>    - ping -f: flooding is ok, but I cannot modify parameters (ports,
> adresses) as I'd like to (well, I could start many pings with different
> parameters at once) and it needs acknowledgements.
>
> And I still have to try:
>    - udpgen: I have to modify the makefile to install it
>    - hping2
>    - spak
>
> Tahnk you guys anyway.
> By the way, Ashok you may find something that fits your needs in that list.
>

>           Emmanuel

Thanks to all who gave pointers. However none of these tools accept a network
address for target. So I have to execute the programs once for each target
address. I wanted to check the multipath routing code and so required that
the packets have different destination IP addresses. So I wrote a small
program to generate packets to a range of addresses.

Thanks again,
Ashok