Re: [LARTC] Bridging

Jay,

    I can't comment directly on it, but I've used the bridging setup in
a RedHat 7.3 machine recently.  The last Twisted Pair to BNC tranceiver
we had broke, so I had to build one out of a Linux machine.  Worked
great on a little network (don't ask why I had to keep the BNC around,
I'm still pissed about it).

	Never had any problems with the bridge.  It's was not on a network that
had managed switches, so it didn't have to do interact with any of that
to ensure no network loops, but for a simple bridge it works great.
Turned the machine on, let it run for 15 days no problems on the
network, found a replacement tranceiver and life was good.

    I know I used the ancient bridging code in the 1.2 kernel and never
had any problems with it (it's been re-written since then I believe).

     The new code is great, took 5 minutes to figure it out from the man
page.  The only thing that thru me was you have to ifconfig up the
bridging interface.

	Thanks,
		Kirby