Re: [LARTC] Test tool - traffic generator.

On Thursday 20 February 2003 15:44, Bartek Krajnik wrote:
> On 20-02-2003 at 05:47:07PM +0200, Emmanuel Guiton wrote:
> EG> Hi!
> EG>
> EG> Does anyone know a good traffic generator that can be implemented on
> the EG> same machine than the one which implement traffic control?
> EG> I have a "test network" (2 hosts). One of the machines is a router on
> EG> which I want to test my traffic control settings. This router is
> EG> supposed to be at the interface of two networks: mine and another one
> EG> that does not exist in fact. As I have to simulate traffic coming from
> EG> the non-existent network, I'm looking for a tool that I could install
> on EG> the router and that won't bypass the traffic control (as for example
> the EG> kernel traffic generator does).
> EG>
> EG> Any good suggestion?
> EG>
> hping
> http://www.hping.org
>
> Rgds,
>   Bartek.

I tried spak (Send Packet: http://www.xenos.net/software/spak/). Although it
is quite configurable, I found that the rate of sending packets is slow as
the a different program is required to be run for different layers. For
example to send a TCP packet, we would have to run maketcp then makeip and
finally sendpacket. Thus for each packet sent out we have to execute 3
programs. This slows down the sending rate very much. I tried to send some
10000 packets and the rate I saw was something like 1 packet/sec. Maybe it
could work for your case.

Thanks,
Ashok