Re: [LARTC] Limiting Citrix printing traffic, so ensure interactive sessions

On Monday 20 May 2002 11:23, Bas Rijniersce wrote:
> LS,
>
> Spent a lot of this weekend reading about shaping and traffic control.
> The Howto is very extensive... :-) I hope to use this list to see if
> what I want is possible.
>
> The situation:
> - A central (big) Citrix cluster located in Frankfurt (all servers in
> one subnet)
> - The office in Rotterdam connected to Franfurt with a 2Mbit line
> - The office in Bergen (Norway) connected to *Rotterdam* with a 128 line
>
> Normal citrix session uses max 20k/s, printing is not limited! The
> problem is obvious, one user sent a big print job... Away is the
> interactive performance..
>
> What i'm thinking of:
>
> [Citrix cluster] -- [Linux proxy-arp shaper]-- Router to RTD -- Router
> to Brg
>
> What is probably very easy to do is bring all the printers in a separate
> subnet in Bergen and use iptables to mark the packets for this subnet (I
> build a proxy-arp firewall before, so these are familiair techniques).
Why proxy arping?  You can enable briding so the network don't know you are
shaping.  If there is a problem with the brdige, just remove it and you can
work again.

> It seems that Citrix traffic uses dynamic port numbers so identifying
> them this way seems impossible. If someone knows a way to use the u32
> filter to select Citrix normal and Citrix printing traffic???
How do you print?  To dedicated print-servers or to printers attached to
windows boxes?

> The behaviour that I would like to get:
> - If no other traffic, printing or interactive get 100%
> - If other traffic, printing gets the rest
>
> I don't know if this is possible, acceptable would also be, let printing
> never exceed 30% of the total bandwidth
Very easy to implement it in CBQ or HTB.  The most difficult part is
separating the printing traffic and the citrix traffic.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"