[LARTC] gre tunnel question again

This question adds on to the GRE tunnel query that I
asked earlier.

For the GRE tunnel to work, do I need to configure
tunnels in both directions.

When I configure a tunnel in one direction, I get this
error :

protocol 47 unreachable which is an icmp error
message.

Can I configure a tunnel in one direction, and add a
static route in the other direction and expect it to
work?

Thanks,
Vikas

=====
"To remain cheerful and have equanimity in all circumstances is the greatest worship of God"