[LARTC] Traffic balancing by IP.

Sorry, I'm a little behind here, trying to catch up

  From: "Dmitri Gofmekler" <dmitri@xxxxxxxx>
  To: <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:38:13 +0200

  As far as I know that the traffic that will pass thru the router is balanced
  so that all connections have the same privilegies. Is it possible to
  configure the linux based router so that all computers will have the same
  privilegies? I mean that if in default case full traffic is splitted by
  connections, so I need to split it by users to prevent one user occupy all
  traffic by starting 150 simulations downloads with FlashGET for example, but
  he should be able to occupy all channel if no one else require the traffic
  this time.

My interpretation is that you have one link shared among multiple
computers that can be distinguished by their IP addresses and you
want to share the link fairly among those computers.
There is no current out-of-the-box solution that I know of but this
is so similar to SFQ that you can make the change very easily.
SFQ offers fair service to "flows" defined by source/dest IP/port.
You just want to change that to destination IP for packets coming in
from the internet, and source address for packets going out to the
internet.  If you look at the SFQ code there's a hash function that
looks at ports and IP addresses.  I propose two variants, one of which
comments out all but the destination IP address, the other comments
out all but the source IP address.
You can use the version that looks at the source at the interfaces
going out to the internet and the version that looks at the
destination at interfaces going to the local networks.
I hope that makes sense.