Re: [LARTC] Traffic shaping an apartment building

> > >I have a better idea. ;-)
> > >You can give erveyone the full bandwith.  But if you your friend is
> > >downloading (or you), he gets more bandwith.  I think that's more fair
> then
> > >limiting everyone to 64k.
>
> I thought of that but the people at this apartment are cheap. :( I was
> going to charge them 10$ a month X 20 to cover the cost of the access and
> to recover the cost of the wireless equipment.  If they pay more I will up
> their rate.  Our eventual goal is get them on their own dsl modem.
You still can use the same setup as I described.  They can share the
bandwidth between each other, but there is a maximum.  If they pay more, you
increase the maximum:
root qdisc
bounded class with rate = 3meg
  class for the 'manager' : rate = 384K
  class for the other appartments : rate = 3meg - 348k
    class 1 for appartment 1 : rate = 64k
    class 2 for appartment 2 : rate = 64k

> > >And I suggest you use HTB and CBQ.  But you will have to patch the
> > > kernel
>
> and
>
> > >iproute to do so.
> > >You can do it with CBQ, but it's much more complicated.
>
> I hear a lot about the buzzword CBQ.  What do I if I wish to follow the CBQ
> route?  Do I have to re-compile my stock Redhat 7.2 kernel?  Everything
> looks like it is a module when it comes to QOS in this kernel.  QOS is all
> new to me but Linux and routing isn't. :)  Tomorrow I am going to re-read
> the sections on both sites again.
I suppose you mean "What do I if I wish to follow the HTB".
Indeed, you will have to download the kernel source and iproute and patch it
for HTB.  But that's not so difficult.  Maybe that
redhat allready prepatched his kernel for htb, I don't know.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 More QOS info : http://www.docum.org/