RE: [LARTC] Traffic shaping an apartment building

http://ds9a.nl/lartc/.  I just not
> sure what I need to do next I have read the documents at the latter and it
> seems confusing to me.  What I would like to do is give almost everyone in
> the apartment a 64k connection with exception of my friends machines
(384k)
> and apartment manager machine (384k).

> >I have a better idea. ;-)
> >You can give erveyone the full bandwith.  But if you your friend is
> >downloading (or you), he gets more bandwith.  I think that's more fair
then
> >limiting everyone to 64k.

I thought of that but the people at this apartment are cheap. :( I was going
to charge them 10$ a month X 20 to cover the cost of the access and to
recover the cost of the wireless equipment.  If they pay more I will up
their rate.  Our eventual goal is get them on their own dsl modem.

> >And I suggest you use HTB and CBQ.  But you will have to patch the kernel
and
> >iproute to do so.
> >You can do it with CBQ, but it's much more complicated.

I hear a lot about the buzzword CBQ.  What do I if I wish to follow the CBQ
route?  Do I have to re-compile my stock Redhat 7.2 kernel?  Everything
looks like it is a module when it comes to QOS in this kernel.  QOS is all
new to me but Linux and routing isn't. :)  Tomorrow I am going to re-read
the sections on both sites again.

> >What kind of upload/download do you have on the ADSL link and the
wireless
> >radio?

When we first did the link we didn't get that good transfer rates 64-128 k,
he slapped another 2000$ for some Amps now we are getting about 6 meg link
reliably.  The ADSL I am getting 3 megs down 512 k up.

Allen Armstrong