Re: [LARTC] Linux Traffic-Shaper and other Products

On Thursday 27 December 2001 07:40, Sumit Pandya wrote:
> -- Stef Write :
> >> Take a look at www.allot.com.  They have boxes that can shape traffic
>
> (these boxes run linux with a web-interface and use CBQ to do the traffic
> shaping). They cost about 15.000 USD and they do a poor job. On the other
> hand, I can write you some scripts, you take an old PC with 2 NIC's and you
> pay ma as much as you would paid Allot :-)
> 	Its wonderful, It means we can also shape traffic "from and to" in our
> favorite Linux Box. But sadly on our list I didn't found any clue to
> implement this. Infact what I found is impossibility of this solution. My
> quoriocity to know if there is existing solution, was against  possibility
> of solution, not to buy solution ;-).
>
> >> What you want to do is so easy that you can do it by yourself.  Just
> >> take
>
> a look at the howto, try some things out and post it to this mailing list.
> We will be happy to help you if you encounter a problem.
> 	Hey just a min. HOWTO is documented for limiting one-way traffic. Once
> again I want to clear here that total traffic mean "from and to" a computer
> must be limited to certain limit. Okay then help me, and many list members
> too ;-), and write the way or script to limiting total-traffic of a
> computer. Or otherwise lets go ahead to beat system like allot and
> coordinate for solution for this.
> 	Thanks for taking time to write in.
It's very easy.  If yoy want to shape traffic from and to a computer, you
need a dedicated linux box that you can put in front of that computer and
that will act as a gateway.  1 NIC connected to that box and 1 NIC connected
to the rest of the network.  You really needs this because you can only shape
traffic that leaves the NIC.  When you have a dedicated box, you can shape on
both NIC's and so can shape in both directions.

So we only speak from shaping in one direction, but with 2 NIC's, you can
shape in both directions.  Allot is doing the same thing.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 More QOS info : http://www.docum.org/