Re: [LARTC] Inspection of SFQ work

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 05:02:52PM -0500, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> Is there any way / patch allowing inspection of decisions made by various
> qdiscs?  I'm particularly interested in SFQ and RED but I'm sure following
> the logic flow in CBQ would be enlightening as well ;-).

I've thought about it. There is no easy single entrypoint to do this. Each
qdisc would have its own debugging statements. The good news is that this is
easy to add, just insert 'printk' statements in relevant places.

Kernel policy however is that no 'explanatory' statements are allowed in the
mainline kernel, just as there is no kernel debugger in the mainline kernel.

> ... I'm sure it would slow things down, but there are some occasions where
> turning this kind of thing on is 'smart'.

I'm not sure, but perhaps IBM 'dprobes' might be suited for this work.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services