Re: [LARTC] Dual Internet Connection Routing

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:59:23PM -0800, K M wrote:

>  +-------------+   +----linux--PC--+
>  |  DSL Router |   |               |
>  |   static IP |===<>--firewall    |
>  +-------------+   |               |    +----------+
>                    |               <>=== LAN Switch
>  +-------------+   |               |    +----------+
>  |  DSL Router |===<>--firewall    |
>  |   static IP |   |               |
>  +-------------+   +---------------+

Nice ASCII!

The only easy way to do this is to have both DSL routers as default gateway
with the ip nexthop syntax, and do masquerading on both interfaces, and then
add policy routing to make sure that packets in a session that started on
ADSL router 1 *stay* on ADSL router one.

> Both the routers have static external IPs. I want the
> traffic to be equally divided between the two DSL
> lines and in case one of them is down, the other one
> should take up the entire load. The linux box will

This probably requires some CRON magic to detect when a link is down, and
you should then adjust your default gw.

> also function as a firewall. Now how should I go about
> configuring the system. Is it feasible to have two
> parallel firewalls on the same system ? How do I
> configure the routing to meet my requirements.

It is very feasible to have multiple firewalls on one linux machine.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services