Re: [LARTC] Multipath, 2.4.16 + Julian's patches.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:02:50 -0500
Adrian Chung <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I didn't have trouble following the HOWTO, it was easy to follow.  I'm
> just not sure I understand the reasoning for having to do certain
> steps, but that's not necessarily the goal of your HOWTO.

Well, up to a certain point it is, as at least some understanding is
necessary to apply this setup to different situations. For instance,
in your last two messages you seem to have tried to test the load
balancing with individual cases. As I wrote, this is not possible; you
need a certain amount of traffic to see it. The reason is a rather
complex interaction of the routing cache and the connection
tracking. Give the thing full load, and you'll see. Look at this:

 eth0: RX bytes:628147759 (599.0 Mb)  TX bytes:143581725 (136.9 Mb)
 eth2: RX bytes:717176203 (683.9 Mb)  TX bytes:149120155 (142.2 Mb)

We had a power failure yesterday in the afternoon, so numbers are
still small. I don't use weights and the nominal capacity of both
lines is the same. You see, balancing is not 100% fair, but it's more
or less close. For eth2 it certainly makes a difference to download
683 MB or 1282 MB. Also, I didn't check the logfiles, and it's
possible that there was a failure in eth0 (or in eth2 or in both). So
this doesn't necessarily represent the balancing. But I'm used to
numbers in about this ratio.

> Should I post my confusions to the list?  Or offlist to you personally?

Probably it's better to the list. I'm far from being an expert, and we
all can learn something. Also, right now, I'm very busy and will not
be able to modify that howto too soon.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx