Re: [LARTC] SFQ

re: Subject: [LARTC] SFQ working
 > > Here different flows are distinguished by source & dest addresses and
 > > source port.
 > >
 > > Is this right?
 >
 > Exactly.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > bert

I think this is not quite right.
Also dest port, right?
And of course protocol.
And of course lower level (eth) protocol - above applies to IPv4.

and re: > Subject: Re: [LARTC] sfq as solution to "Small ISP problems"
 > >  > 1: SSH - to be realtime always.
 > > I don't think you want this to always be high prio - that includes scp.
 >
 > your'e right, only the real ssh traffic..

How do you propose to tell the difference between ssh and scp?

 > > I think what you really want is to prevent large flows from unfairly
 > > impacting small ones, and that's what sfq does.  Try it and see
 > > whether you get the behavior you want.
 >
 > Oki, I tried it. I defined two classes. "all_in" and "all_out".
 > I have 2Mbit full duplex so just to be sure my que isn't ending up in the
 > g703 "modem" I defined the classes to 1,900Mbit downstream and 1,000Mbit
 > upstream.
 > Put SFQ on both classes and tested under heavy load..
I don't understand what these classes are for or what the 2Mbit above
has to do with the 2 and 1 Gbit above.

 > > If you're really in the first situation where you just want to give
 > > equal service to all who are requesting it then what you really want
 > > is a slight variant of sfq.  If you look at the code you'll see a hash
 > function that takes into consideration source and destination ip
 >
 > What code exactly ? I am currently using the cbq.init script version 0.6.2 .
Not that code, but kernel source for sfq in net/sched/sch_sfq.c
 > > address and port and maybe other stuff.  All you want to do is remove
 > > all but the source IP (and then perhaps do what you can to prevent
 > > source forgery!).  That will give fair service among all source IP
 > > addresses.

 > Take a look at this:
 >
 > Right now my bandwidth looks like this:
 >
 > Total Rates: 	2170.6 kbits/s
 > 			517.6 packets/sec
 >
 > Incoming rates:	1769.4 kbits/s
 > 			261.4 packets/sec
 >
 > Outgoing rates:	401.2 kbits/sec
 > 			256.2 packets/sec
 >
 > Well, we have a full duplex 2Mbit connection so this should not be a
 > problem.
 > Eventhough, we,  based on a 265 packets test, have 28% packet loss witch is
 > not good.

If you're not using up your bandwidth I don't see why you're dropping.
Do you understand that?