Re: [LARTC] Re: further CBQ/tc documentation ds9a.nl/lartc/manpages

----- Original Message -----
From: "bert hubert" <ahu@xxxxxxx>
To: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Martin Devera" <devik@xxxxxx>; "jamal" <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>; <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 6:14 AM
Subject: Re: [LARTC] Re: further CBQ/tc documentation ds9a.nl/lartc/manpages

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:59:38AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > TCP is generally too smart to be delayed proper by "randomly" dropped packets
> > without any signs in RTT. Especially when the RTT is small.
>
> Richard Stevens disagrees with you.

I assume you mean the late Richard Stevens, who passed away at an early age
after helping to document the BSD Internet Protocol software in great detail.

BTW, while on the subject of TCP, Qs, etc. It seems rather odd that people
engrossed in protocols, would not consider the long history of making sure that
layers are preserved or at least considered. You may have heard of Layer 2
(Network) and Layer 3 (Transport). It would seem that much of the work on
Queues and the shaping of flows would most properly be located in Layer 3.
The additions we are making to Layer 2, focus on extending the addressing
and other functionality of Layer 2. It seems that Layer 2 will not have enough
bits to accommodate all of the ideas that people are pouring into it.

This may help...
http://www.dot-biz.com/IPv4/Tutorial/

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info