Re: [LARTC] Re: further CBQ/tc documentation ds9a.nl/lartc/manpages

On Monday 10 December 2001 12.35, Martin Devera wrote:

> Are you sure !? TCP slows down by half on every dropped
> packet per congestion window AFAIK.
> On other side it is often hard to slow TCP down by packet
> delay as TCP will try to accomodate it by making MSS larger.
> Am I right jamal ?

You basically need both, or your packet drops will constantly be fighting
retransmits as TCP is trying to recover. There will eventually be a balance,
but not a too nice one.

> as I said above, packet dropping works well (at least for me
> in the same ISP scenario).
> When you are queuing then delay only helps you to postpone
> burst of reply data to some less used time.
> When bulk traffic persists, packet is droppes and TCP fallbacks
> down.

Sure, just dropping packets will work to some extent, but not by far as
efficient in transmitted data as limited queue with drop on overflow
(preferably smarter than FIFO+overflow if you need support more than one
concurrent TCP session).

Regards
Henrik