Re: [LARTC] Re: further CBQ/tc documentation ds9a.nl/lartc/manpages

On Sunday 09 December 2001 22.41, jamal wrote:

> Look at the definition of work vs non-work conserving; This is design
> intent. If you look at the datapath, it is totaly meaningless to put
> queues at ingress, for routing when they are being queued on ingress as
> well.

(on egress as well I assume...)

True, but not all applications of shaping have the luxury of egress. For
example, consider the not too uncommon example of a computer connected via
100Mbps networking to a DSL modem, and you want to tune the use of the link
without needing to introduce a router inbetween.

> The implementation/extension is trivial. There is no need for it; I went
> at great lengths with Martin/devik on this  Maybe he can help me here ;->

So do you have any argument why one should not be able to shape incoming
local traffic to a station in a good manner without having a router do the
shaping?
hh
Regards
Henrik