[LARTC] CBQ MANPAGE: I hear the theme of '2001, A Space Odyssey'

... to the sound of 'Also sprach Zarathustra':

 After weeks of social deprivation and much digging through heaps of code, I
                                  bring you

                                  tc-cbq.8

       The CBQ manpage. Nearly 2500 words, 8 printed pages, of nearly
        unintelligible gobledygook, explaining mostly how CBQ works.

It is part of the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control documentation
project which contains a HOWTO, a mailinglist, an IRC channel and now
manpages:

                            http://ds9a.nl/lartc

I want to thank Jamal for stubbornly straightening me out when I use messy
language and explaining how things work. The errors are mine though.

I *implore* ANK and others to read through this. I'm about exhausted and
running out of time (need to get on with work), and have a hard time
figuring out the exact details of the CBQ link sharing algorithm. I need
help, so to speak. The manpage indicates where.

Thanks for your attention. Please find tc-cbq.8 attached.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People
Netherlabs BV / Rent-a-Nerd.nl           - Nerd Available -
'SYN! .. SYN|ACK! .. ACK!' - the mating call of the internet
.TH CBQ 8 "8 December 2001" "iproute2" "Linux"
.SH NAME
CBQ \- Class Based Queueing
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B tc qdisc ... dev
dev
.B  ( parent
classid
.B | root) [ handle
major:
.B ] cbq avpkt
bytes
.B bandwidth
rate
.B [ cell
bytes
.B ] [ ewma
log
.B ] [ mpu
bytes
.B ]

.B tc class ... dev
dev
.B parent
major:[minor]
.B [ classid
major:minor
.B ] cbq allot
bytes
.B [ bandwidth
rate
.B ] [ rate
rate
.B ] prio
priority
.B [ weight
weight
.B ] [ minburst
packets
.B ] [ maxburst
packets
.B ] [ ewma
log
.B ] [ cell
bytes
.B ] avpkt
bytes
.B [ mpu
bytes
.B ] [ bounded isolated ] [ split
handle
.B & defmap
defmap
.B ] [ estimator
interval timeconstant
.B ]

.SH DESCRIPTION
Class Based Queueing is a classful qdisc that implements a rich
linksharing hierarchy of classes.  It contains shaping elements as
well as prioritizing capabilities.  Shaping is performed using link
idle time calculations based on the timing of dequeue events and
underlying link bandwidth.

.SH SHAPING ALGORITHM
Shaping is done using link idle time calculations, and actions taken if
these calculations deviate from set limits.

When shape a 10mbit/s connection to 1mbit/s, the link will
be idle 90% of the time. If it isn't, it needs to be throttled so that it
IS idle 90% of the time.