[LARTC] Re: CBQ and all other qdiscs now REALLY completely documented(almost!)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, bert hubert wrote:

> [...]
> >                 14      2
> >                 15      2
>
> I find this tos2prio table in the kernel (2.5.x), which is somewhat
> different than your table:
>
> 0        TC_PRIO_BESTEFFORT,     0
> 1        TC_PRIO_(FILLER),       1
> 2        TC_PRIO_BESTEFFORT,     0
> 3        TC_PRIO_(BESTEFFORT),   0
> 4        TC_PRIO_BULK,           2
> 5        TC_PRIO_(BULK),         2
> 6        TC_PRIO_BULK,           2
> 7        TC_PRIO_(BULK),         2
> 8        TC_PRIO_INTERACTIVE,    6
> 9        TC_PRIO_(INTERACTIVE),  6
> 10       TC_PRIO_INTERACTIVE,    6
> 11       TC_PRIO_(INTERACTIVE),  6
> 12       TC_PRIO_INTERACTIVE_BULK,       4
> 13       TC_PRIO_(INTERACTIVE_BULK),     4
> 14       TC_PRIO_INTERACTIVE_BULK,       4
> 15       TC_PRIO_(INTERACTIVE_BULK)      4
>

> > Fill in the  "8value(hex)" column gaps using the bitmap from RFC1349 for
> > the 8 bits; These are the values ou would see with tcpdump -vvv
> > I filled the two easiest ones i could compute in my head.
> >
> > Second step:
> >
> > Take the default priority map:
> >  1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 0, 0 , 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
> > This applies for both default prio and the 3-band FIFO queue.
> > Note the queue map fitted on the last column
> >
> > 8 but value     TOS     mapped to   queue map
> > 0x0              0      0              1
> >                  1      7              2
> >                  2      0              2
> >                  3      0              2
> >                  4      2              1
> >                  5      2              2
> >                  6      2              0
> >                  7      2              0
> > 0x10             8      6              1
> >                  9      6              1
> >                 10      6              1
> >                 11      6              1
> >                 12      2              1
> >                 13      2              1
> >                 14      2              1
> >                 15      2              1
>
> I've changed this table to:
> TOS     Bits  Means                    Linux Priority    Band
> 0x0     0     Normal Service           0 Best Effort     1
> 0x2     1     Minimize Monetary Cost   1 Filler          2
> 0x4     2     Maximize Reliability     0 Best Effort     1
> 0x6     3     mmc+mr                   0 Best Effort     1
> 0x8     4     Maximize Throughput      2 Bulk            2
> 0xa     5     mmc+mt                   2 Bulk            2
> 0xc     6     mr+mt                    2 Bulk            2
> 0xe     7     mmc+mr+mt                2 Bulk            2
> 0x10    8     Minimize Delay           6 Interactive     0
> 0x12    9     mmc+md                   6 Interactive     0
> 0x14    10    mr+md                    6 Interactive     0
> 0x16    11    mmc+mr+md                6 Interactive     0
> 0x18    12    mt+md                    4 Int. Bulk       1
> 0x1a    13    mmc+mt+md                4 Int. Bulk       1
> 0x1c    14    mr+mt+md                 4 Int. Bulk       1
> 0x1e    15    mmc+mr+mt+md             4 Int. Bulk       1

Yes, sorry the last 4 are int_bulk (value 4) and not just bulk (2). good
eye. You are still abusing the word TOS. Thats only 4 bits not 8;
Use the terminology from RFC1349 at least.

> http://ds9a.nl/lartc/HOWTO/cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-9.html#ss9.2
>
> Your table appears to imply that a Maximum Reliability, Mininum Delay
> packet, TOS bits=9, gets mapped to band 1, not 0, which would not make
> sense.

This is the priomap: 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 0, 0 , 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
It says 1 is the right value

> Laying it out like this, which does appear how it works, does mean that you
> can specify priorities in the priomap which do not correspond to possible
> TOS values.

You cant remap the 3 band scheduler trivially, but you should be able to
replace it with a default prio qdisc get exactly the same behavior and use
whatever map you want (eg your 0 to 1 substitution for TOS 1001)

> Is it possible at all to set skb->priority from userspace without going
> through the tos2prio mapping?

SO_PRIORITY socket option is doable; you have to be root.

> CBQ can use the skb->priority to classify:

so do prio and pfifo_fast (as i am sure you are aware)

>         /*
>          *  Step 1. If skb->priority points to one of our classes, use it.
>          */
>         if (TC_H_MAJ(prio^sch->handle) == 0 &&
>             (cl = cbq_class_lookup(q, prio)) != NULL)
>                         return cl;
>
> But to do this, you would need to be able to set skb->priority to a 32bit
> number:

Cant think of a straight way to do this .... Alexey would know,

cheers,
jamal