Re: [LARTC] CBQ only works 'bounded'

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:19:20PM +0100, Patrick Nagelschmidt wrote:
> At 07.12.01, you wrote:
> >You talk to your modem over a 10mbit/s interface?
>
> yes, it's pppoe. and i can recycle my old ne2k cards this way :)

:-) I use a 486 with ne2k-pci too.

> >I've been experimenting with HTB and it appears to be better in this
> >respect. Even without priorities it managed to keep latency in the
> >interactive class *very* low.
>
> but i read in your howto, that it will divide remaining bandwidth in a ratio
> based on the size of the classes. so this would mean it would devide it in
> a 108:20 ratio. if it does the low priority class gets the bigger part and
> i might have the same problem again. or do i underestimate HTB? :)

Ok, I tried this with HTB, commands can be found on http://ds9a.nl/shaper
with comments. It turns out that with HTB you need to leave some room for
your interactive class, in my case, I trimmed the bulk class by 20kbit/s.

You could probably also get away with assigning 220kbit/s to your
interactive class and 1kbit/s to the bulk class, but allowing it to borrow
up to 220kbit/s, which would save you from trimming off 10%.

> >One thing, try reversing the priorities
>
> i tried it, but this hadn't a positive effect. isn't 1 the highest and 7 the
> lowest?

Hey, it was just a hunch :-)

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People