[LARTC] Weird problem, not 100% routing based.

I current have a dsl modem.  I'm running a nexland brand router for it.
I'm going to eventually move to using my linux box as my main router, but
that's for a later day, and scouring for info/wisdom is actually why I
joined this, but this isn't about that yet :)

The router has a cool "loopback" function, where I can hit my external IP
from internal, and it passes back through the hits.

simple network topology to deal with for the problem:
inet---dslmodem---router---hub---win box
                                              |---linux box
if it isn't aligned, just win and linux in a hub to the router.

Situations that work:
windows box IMAP to linux imap server, through loopback on router.
windows box ssh to linux ssh server, through loopback on router.
port 80 fw'd to linux box, windows box hits web server through loopback
port 80 fw'd to windows box, windows box doing loopback to itself

(by loopback i mean through the router, NOT 127.0.0.1)

Situation(s) that doesn't work:
linux box->loopback->linux box, ANY ports
port 80 fw'd to linux box, no work with lynx or wget
port 22 fw'd, no work with ssh from linux to linux
etc...

What's going on here?  It looks like the linux box is not liking talking to
itself while going through an external router, or something crazy?

What should I look for to diagnose this?

I've just about eliminated the problem being at the router since it works in
every combo but linux box->itself.

Thanks!

--Bill Williamson