Re: [LARTC] Simulating 256k Link Using CBQ or HTB

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 08:17:40AM +1100, Shaun Cronin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been asked to provide a QA setup in which one W2K server must only
> communicate with the rest of the network at a speed of 256 or 512k (to simulate
> and external link)
>
> My idea is to place a Linux box with two NICs between the server in question
> and the rest of the network and use it to control bandwidth.
>
> With Kernel 2.2 it seems that rshaper would work but reading Linux 2.4 Advanced
> Routing How-To is leading me to think that CBQ might be the answer.

If you are just using ethernets, you can probably get away with CBQ with TBF
internally. See the excellent cbq.init tool mentioned in the HOWTO.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People