Re: [LARTC] Solved: Using more than 1 Internet Line

Arthur van Leeuwen writes:
 > > This problem could be fixed by extending TCP (and of course, changing
 > > the kernel) to support multiple IP addresses.  I suggest a new option
 > > that says "here's another IP address for me" (or perhaps, here's an
 > > alternative IP/port).  The kernel then has to merge these two input
 > > streams.  On the output side (when you send to someone who has told
 > > you about alternative addresses) I can think of several ways to
 > > control which address you send to.  I suppose the application should
 > > have some way to influence that, but as a first stab, I suggest that
 > > whenever tcp has to resend a packet, it should move to the next
 > > address.
 > Oh, you're talking about implementing it at the TCP level? Right then...
 > right. That should be possible... if only programs couldn't bind to specific
 > addresses...

Right, I forgot about the other half, what interface programs will
have to control their own alternative addresses.

While I do think there should be such interfaces, I suggest a default
that does the "right" thing for applications that don't know about the
extension.  There should be some command to tell the kernel about the
alternatives, e.g., whenever you allocate a port for address 1.2.3.*
you should also allocate alternatives for addresses 6.7.8.9 and
4.5.6.7.