Re: [LARTC] Virtual circuits

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:01:09AM +0100, M.F. PSIkappa wrote:

> I'm interesting about this, I know that in FreeBSD it's posible via
> netgraph but I didn't see any usable solutions for linux.
> I know about Frame Diverter but it's not suitable for my purpose.

This is not what these Virtual Circuits are - the VCs I mention are ATM
vc's, not 'bridging tunnels'.

> How to sent _everything_ (e.g. arp) from client1 to client1_router?
> I cant use any tunnel.
> It's posible with linux ?

Well, you can use a tunnel, it's just that you want a 'bridging tunnel',
that appears by magic so to speak. Basically you are then a two-port
repeater with a long bit in the middle.

Now, is this possible? I think it is, I'm just not entire sure how.

Perhaps a proxy-arping pseudo bridge does what you want? In that case ARPs
are not transmitted over your tunnel, but your tunnel device reacts to ARP
requests for hosts it knows about on the other side.

If you want a real bridge, you should find a way to create a 'virtual
interface' that lives on the remote host, and run a bridge between your
regular interface and the 'virtual long distance' one.

Perhaps this is possible.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People