[LARTC] what's changed?

I recently upgraded our firewall from an older 2.4.2 kernel to the most
recent 2.4.14, and the iptables binaries from 1.2.1a to 1.2.4. Or rather,
I *tried* to upgrade; something have very muched changed and my old
firewall rules don't seem to work anymore.

One symptom I've noticed seems to be that packets which match an ACCEPT
rule in the OUTPUT chain are still being tested against the POSTROUTING
chain in the nat table. I thought that once something was accepted, it was
good to go? That's certainly how it works with my older 2.4.2 kernel
setup.