[LARTC] Shaping local generated traffic

Hi

I have a problem which might have several others too:
3 days ago i got my DSL-Line (T-DSL, Germany, 128kbit/s outbound,
768kbit/s inbound) and i also have to few money to build a dedicated
dial-in (linux-) pc.
On my dial-in pc there`s also a samba-server (for local net only), a
http server (public) a ftp server (also public) and there a peer2peer
client (edonkey, sometimes audiogalaxy). All these (except samba for the
moment) generate outgoing traffic (on the DSL-Line).

My interfaces: eth0: 192.168.1.0/24 (local network)
		   eth1: pppoe-interface
		   ppp0: DSL-pppoe-interface to the internet

The problem is common: if i have running my peer2peer client (which
always wants  a certain amount (usualy 10kbyte/s) of outbound traffic),
downloading some files per ftp, and simultanosly have clients on my own
ftp-server, my 16kbyte/s-window of outbound traffic is always full, so
my downloads are slow (and no telnet/ssh from outside is practicaly
possibel, and so on)

I know with iproute2/kernel2.4 i can shape outbound traffic, but as far
as i read the LARTC it's impossible to shape local generated traffic
(but i hope i'm wrong :)

The best solution for me and others with the same problems woud be to
give all ftp-outbound-transfers limited bandwith ( i know it's possible
with some ftp-servers, but i think it's better with shaping), and to
priorize all other outbound transfer. This isn't the most elegant way to
handle the problem, but it would help (shapping peer2peer traffic isn't
that easy i guess, because most systems like edonky and audiogalaxy have
no standard ports, afaik)

Is this the only way? Do i have to "mark" all my "not-so-important"
packets? Or is there a better solution? If not, could you give me small
hints, because i'm not very in this iptables-syntax-stuff and very much
not in the "tc" and "ip" syntax.

Thank you for your advices

Tobias

[ I've sent this message about 2 weeks ago, but i don't know wether it
was too stupid for this mailinglist, or it just didn't make the way to
it. I didn't see it in the mailing list, so i decided to resent it.
sorry if you got it twice, tell me if i can get this information
elsewhere ]