Re: [LARTC] Why 'ping' only succeed in one direction?

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 08:56:37PM -0500, Rodrigo Goya wrote:
> > It might be that the linux router sends you ICMP redirects as the
> > forwarding interface is the same as the incoming interface but
> > it also should've happened when you "ping 192.168.1.8 "on Sun-1.
>
> I had problems with a linux router doing NAT on the same interface,
> it was doing redirects, and though packets were "seen" on the wire with
> tcpdump, there were conflicts between private and public IPs and the
> packets were lost.
>
> Don't know if this is the case here, but just in case you could set all
> the "send_redirects" in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf to 0.

I don't think that is what's happening here.

Just today, I had one linux router with the correct source IP and a more
specific route with a different IP (I'm working with IPsec tunnels here)

When I ran a ping through the tunnel to the host described above it would
respond; but if I initiated a ping from the host, it would choose the more
specific route and thus the wrong one for my purposes.

Here's an example (this is gatway to gateway; if hosts already within the
specified subnets can't communicate, the tunnel isn't working at all):

host a
inet ip: 1.2.3.4
local subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
internal ip: 192.168.1.1

host b
inet ip: 9.8.7.6
local subnet: 10.1.1.0/24
internal ip: 10.1.1.1

tunnel:
192.168.1.0/24 (1.2.3.4) ==== (9.8.7.6) 10.1.1.0/24

In order to get the traffic tunneled you have to change the source IP:
on a:
ip ro rep 10.1.1.0/24 dev ($dev) src 192.168.1.1

on b:
ip ro rep 192.168.1.0/24 dev ($dev) src 10.1.1.1

</example>

Now that we have that history behind us...

What I did wrong was:

ip ro rep 10.1.1.0/24 dev ($dev)
ip ro rep 10.1.1.0/8 dev ($dev) src 192.168.1.1

It would respond only to incomming packets, but not connections initiated
from this host.

Ok....  I looked at the origional post... didn't before... :(

This won't help at all.  Maybe it'll help someone else...

Mike