Re: [LARTC] RE: Priority to UDP?

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Daniel Lee wrote:

> I think the filter u32 in tc can do it.  You can filter the packet by its
> protocol (UDP or TCP):
> e.g. : match ip protocol 0x6 0xff flowid 1:3
>  and also give this filter and class 1:3 with higher priority.
> This should be original design of tc.

Another way is to mark the UDP packets with the firewall (iptables or
ipchains).

> However, according to my testing experience, it seems to have bugs in filter
> prio.

I made a few tests some time ago, and it works here. Just be sure that the
sum of the rate of the child classes is not equal to the rate of the
parent class.

I think a good setup would be:

root class: rate 10Mbit

 |-- UDP class: rate 100Kbit (prio 1)

 |-- TCP class: rate 100Kbit (prio 2)

This means both classes get a minimum of 100 Kbit, but as soon more
bandwidth is needed, the UDP class will be served first.

Try it!