[LARTC] will limiting upload increase the download speed(DSL)?

Hello,

Since a few weeks i've got a nice little(5 clients) network humming, with an DSL internet connection managed by a linux router.
(from the on(e)-disk-linux-router guys at www.fli4l.de).

My ISP limits upload to 128 Kbit/s. The problem we've been experiencing is that when an upload is made (eg a music file is downloaded from outside) the download speed is reduced dramatically.(is this caused by control packages not finding the bandwith they need?)

My question: is it possible to manage the upload so that it can't increase up to an amount where it disturbes the download?
can i do it in such a way that upload is still possible; but some bandwith is reserved to the control packeges that need to be send?

If someone could just give me a hint where i could start searching i'd be very gratefull.
(a full explanation would be even more welcome, though; i'm an linux-newbie²)

thanks,

Damiaan Persyn