[LARTC] TEQL question: slave devices should be connected at the Data Link layer ?

Hello to all,

I have made some tests with TEQL.

In the first successfull test 2 hosts were connected via ethernet  (eth0)
and ISDN (ippp0). The 2 ethernet ports were connected on the same LAN.

In the second test I tried to make things more complicated. The ethernet
ports of the 2 hosts were not connected on the same LAN but between them
there were 2 routers and the Internet. This did not work. I removed the
ippp0 from teql0 but still it did not work.

<pre>

      HOST1
      teql0
  eth0       ippp0
    |          |
 ROUTER1       |
    |          |
{Internet}     |
    |          |
 ROUTER2       |
    |          |
  eth0       ippp0
      teql0
      HOST2

</pre>

Here is the setup (with the eth0 only)

Host1
eth0:  X.X.X.131/28
teql0: X.X.X.133/28
on Router1
route add -host X.X.X.133 gw X.X.X.131

Host2
eth0:  Y.Y.Y.131/28
teql0: Y.Y.Y.133/28
on Router2
route add -host Y.Y.Y.133 gw Y.Y.Y.131

Host1
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root teql0
ip addr add X.X.X.133 dev teql0
ip link set dev teql0 up
ip route add Y.Y.Y.128/28 via X.X.X.133 dev teql0

Host2
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root teql0
ip addr add Y.Y.Y.133 dev teql0
ip link set dev teql0 up
ip route add X.X.X.128/28 via Y.Y.Y.133 dev teql0

When I try to ping the teql0 device of the other host (PING X.X.X.131 ->
Y.Y.Y.133) I notice attempts for ARP resolution of the destination address
(Y.Y.Y.133) although it belongs to a different network. My host replies with
Destination Host Unreachable.

So my question is: Do the slave interfaces of the 2 TEQL devices that
connect to each other have to reside on the same data link layer ?

If the above scenario (TEQL on eth0/ipppX where eth0 are connected via
Internet) does not work what do you suggest for having extra ISDN bandwidth
when 2 hosts are connected but not directly.

Thanks in advance
Konstantinos Raissis