Re: [LARTC] Re: TOS useful???

I figure that, in the ideal situation, bandwidth throttling would occur on
a drop-by-drop basis. (That's the only way I can see to do it that can't
be abused, like the TOS fields can, to bring it back to that discussion.
;-)) In that ideal situation, what I plan to do (and, just to un-fluff the
feathers of sys-admins everywhere, at a not--continually-maximal bandiwdth
utilization) is to "reclaim" (read: fully utilize) any bandwidth wasted by
one person not fully using theirs, just as space is wasted if you have two
partitions with a filing system in each, which can't share files, rather
than a single partition, or two filing systems which can combine their
unused space. And by the sharing of services (not bandwidth; services)
amongst different rooms, a greater amount of idleness is maintained on
each, so peaks are taken care of handily, and usage is balanced over the
entire network. (In the *truly* ideal scenario, all users of the entire
network across campus, across a state, in the world, ad infinitum, would
share the same logical bandwidth with no waste. The "real" world is a
subset, or an approximation, of the ideal world.)