Re: [LARTC] Re: TOS useful???

"John Anthony Kazos Jr." wrote:

> Of course it does! :P In our dormitory rooms each person is intended to
> use one 10-Base-T port, but we're going to run a box that connects to both
> and balances the traffic across both. We're also going to set up similar
> boxes in our friends' rooms, and balance the *services* between them.
> We're going to squeeze out every ounce of bandwidth we can.
>
> It's going to be fun, to say the least. :-)

Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!  Folks like you make bandwidth throlling by folks
like me a necessity, to preserve what we have for the other campus
users.  We have seen P2P activities drive us to 80+ percent utilization
at times, with Napster-likes being the bulk thereof.  We've had servers
and RPGs cause similar load problems, especially when we have a truly
talented designer/developer pop up.

This isn't a tirade against the students, more a plea.  We're seeing
bandwidth demand accellerate beyond our (as network managers') ability
to increase supply.  Part of this is that bandwidth isn't free... nor
even cheap... and we have to live on budgets based on what we
anticipated 18 or so months ago, and the management above us in the food
chain subsequently cut.  If we guessed wrong in either direction, our
credibility was screwed and we can't get an increase next year...

Think about it.  This is a cool _ONE_TIME_ experiment, but if it ramps
up, expect your name in the student newspaper as one of the reasons the
bandwidth for your dorm was cut to 56kbps.

TTFN, gerry
--
Gerry Creager                        |      Never ascribe to Malice that
AATLT			             |      which can adequately be