Re: [LARTC] Tunnel problem

I think you also need a route to the tunnel remote address, via the interface connected to the public internet. If your box does not know a
route to the tunnel remote end, it cannot setup the tunnel. As long as you have a default route straight into the internet, connecting to the remote end is no problem, but if you redirect this default route over the tunnel, your router does not know anymore how to reach the tunnel remote end.

If this is not working either, then I am out of suggestions...

Good luck!

Guy

David A. Bandel wrote:

Guy Van Den Bergh wrote:

Have you brought the tunnel device up?
try: ip link set dev <tunneldevice> up

[snip]

this is the _exact_ set of commands I used (comments in parens):

ip tunnel add netmain mode gre remote 209.127.xxx.xxx local
200.46.xxx.xxx ttl 225 (note, I actually put ip numbers, not xxx in the
command)

ip link set netmain up  (and it shows as up with ifconfig, ip tunnel
show, etc. -- if I set it down, the error I get has to do with the
device or route not up)

ip addr add 10.0.3.0 dev netmain

ip route add 0/0 dev netmain  (and here I get, depending on what else
I've done, a route that doesn't work, or an error, usually network not
reachable)

Final line in the route -n command looks like:
0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0     UG   1   0    0  netmain

note the second 0.0.0.0 -- that's wrong.  And I can't ping, traceroute,
or otherwise get anywhere.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel