Re: [LARTC] linux/tc vs packetshaper

bert hubert wrote:

Number of users is not that big an issue. We've filtered 90mbit/s of traffic
with Linux, but we currently only shape up to 5mbit/s. However, the sites we
filter have >100 http connections per second, which each take a few seconds
to complete, so I'd guess that at any one time we have ~300 tcp/ip sessions
running.

I bet a 1000 users would not come near to that amount of sessions.

Well, I've had to increase /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max from 16k to a larger value on a network with 300 users, so something tells me that quite a lot of connections are open.

Regular shaping might induce more, but it hasn't been a problem for us so far. As long as you are not actively shaping (ie, remain below your bandwidth ceiling), we don't see *any* additional latency.

This is the problem for me... The connection is to be distributed between some 8 college dorms, and the users here use quite a lot of bandwidth right now, as we are connected to a university connection. However, we are about to buy our own, which means a pretty crowded 20 mbit connection, and as each dorm should be guaranteed an amount of bandwidth, shaping could occur very often, at least at peak hours in the afternoon/evening.

We've only configured our shaping solution once, using the excellent
CBQ.init script. Takes little time, and then runs on without any problems.

Regards,

bert hubert

Thanks for your reply,

--