[LARTC] linux/tc vs packetshaper

Hi

I was wondering how a Linuxbox running iproute2 and tc to do bandwidth control on a 20 mbit internet connection compares? A Packeteer PacketShaper 4500 costs about $20,000, and a Linuxbox can be set up for much less, but can it be used for a network with some 1000 users without too much trouble?
Following that question, how is the latency affected by a Linux router? The PacketShaper should add no more than 50 msec pr packet, how does Linux compare to this?

If someone has experience with a machine connected to an internetconnection with the same bandwidth, I would like to hear about it very much.

Now, I realize that the Packeteer thing is much easier to configure, and also provides some pretty extensive statistical information, but that is not necessary for me.

yours,

--
Joakim Recht
Tlf. 20 85 54 77