Re: oooPS FW: [LARTC] subinterfaces

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, lamp wrote:

> [...]

Actually, yes, he was talking about something like this. However, to
abstract from your RedHat-centric view and old-fashioned alias
specifications, I'll try to answer more fully.

While Linux does allow multiple addresses to be associated with one
interface (which is easy to do with Alexey's ip command, using the
addr subcommand), I'm not exactly sure whether this holds for non-IP
addressfamilies. The virtual ethernet syntax lamp provided is not
necessary anymore, and is basically ignored by the kernel, IIRC.

However, given the possibility of adding multiple IP addresses to a single
interface and the flexibility the routing code provides it should be
possible to handle the tasks usually handled by subinterfaces, at least for
the IP world.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt