From: Arthur van Leeuwen [mailto:arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 3:39 AM
To: Daniel Jay
Cc: 'lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: [LARTC] Advanced routing question.

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Daniel Jay wrote:

[snip]

Yes. Linux using Advanced Routing can be used to solve these problems, but
for problem 2: at the IP level there is no way to figure out wether or not a
link is down. Ofcourse, you can approximate problem 2, but you have no
guarantees that the problem lies with the link and not with the servers you
test your connectivity against, or the infrastructure to those servers
beyond your direct link.

There have been some postings on the mailing list on exactly the kind of
setup you want. Look into the threads 'Can't use two links on a linux box'
and 'Can't use two links on a linux box - correction/addition' in the
archives at http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2000q4/thread.html

Doei, Arthur. (Maybe I should 'steal' some of my boss' time to write this
               stuff up for the HOWTO...)

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the
money