Re: [LARTC] traffic shaping with 2 class c's

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, bert hubert wrote:

> > 2.) Would it be possible to limit napster on a per-session basis and also
> > have a combined limit?
>
> Not sure. I think napster *traffic* looks like http. Also, I'm not sure if
> you can limit per tcp session.

there is plenty of documentation out there on the web regarding how to
limit napster traffic. although i believe it is mostly just how to block
it entirely. you can block the entire napster inc block, but there are
other servers, such as those listed at http://www.napigator.com/list.php
which would be exceptionally easy to grab with a script such as:

wget -qO - http://www.napigator.com/servers.php?version=117 | grep
'[a-zA-Z]$'| awk '{print $7 " " $2 }'

which you could then pipe into nslookup or something (i think that $7 is
local to awk but you could use some shell magic to assign it to $NAME and
then nslookup $NAME or even pipe the above script to while read i; ). in
the above script $2 is the port which is almost always 8888. you could
then take that data and add ipchains rules for them or add them to the
routing table routed to dummy0 or lo.

alex