Re: [LARTC] load balance/redundancy

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Paul wrote:

> I have looked through the archives, and I can't find the answer(not that
> it isn't there)
>
> I have two connections to the net.  I want load balancing and redundancy.
>
> cable      adsl
> (24.141.)  (64.229)
> |          |
> |          |
> |          |
> |          |
> ------------
> |  linux   |
> |redhat 7.0|
>
> I have no idea were to even start.  I would like equal access to both
> connections.  Please help.  I would assume that alot of people do this
> already, or want to.  A sample config would be very nice.

Hmm. Try reading the ip route 2 documentation on the ip command, and look
at the 'nexthop' arguments to route add. This will set up multipath routes
which do most of what you want.

There does seem to be something of a discrepancy between the ordinary
default route code and the multipath code in the handling of down
links that might bite you though when one of the links goes down...

Doei, Arthur. (Still figuring that last one out)

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt