Re: [LARTC] Two kinds of bandwidth ...

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 02:34:33AM -0300, Aldrin Martoq A. wrote:

> The problem is that the ISP link is a "dual" contract. 10MBit for
> "National" traffic (By law in my country, all ISPs must be inter-connected
> so the national traffic is not so bad). But there is only 128KBit for
> "International" traffic, and that is managed by the "magic routers" out of
> my access and control.

The magic routers are running BGP - see rfc1771, routing traffic to
different ASses in different ways, see below.

> Any ideas? (Besides education). Is just impossible?
> If I get the "magic routers" tables, can I do something useful ?

Yes, you can work this out, but it is some work, but it is fun. IP blocks
are assigned to Autonomous System numbers. I suspect that chile only has
very few ASs - you should be able to work this out.

Your mailserver lives in AS11340 (Red Universitaria Nacional), and is
connected to the world via AS7004 (CTC Transmisiones Regionales S.A.) and
AS1 (BBN Planet), and the BGP configuration makes it very clear that the
link to BBN is expensive.

In order to shape different kinds of traffic, you need to know what can be
routed via AS7004, and what via AS1. I suspect that you can find out which
ASses 'peer' at AS7004 - from then on it is easy to figure out which IP
addresses are in those ASses.

With those netmasks, you will be able to mark packets, and shape on that
mark.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People