Re: [LARTC] I can control traffic based on IP ADDRESS but not on PROTOCOL

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 06:31:30PM -0400, Peter Frischknecht wrote:

> However, if I attempt to filter by protocol instead, it does not work.
> I will disregard the fact that this filter will manipulate both TCP and UDP
> sessions destined to the specific port.
> I am attaching to a server on port 8080 (0x1f90).
>
> tc filter add dev eth1 parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 25 u32 match tcp src
> 0x1f90 0xffff flowid 1:100

Well, I don't really see what's wrong with this command. Try verifying your
assumptions, are there really packets GOING OUT on eth1 with source port
8080?

> A connection to the above port will yield the default bandwidth of 10Mbit.
> Not the desired effect.

You might be able to use ipchains or iptables to mark your packets (fwmark),
and try to filter on the mark.

> I have used many examples copied strainght out of the sources, in all of
> them, the IP address matching works, but the TCP matching never does.

Otherwise ask Jamal Hadi, his address is in the HOWTO. Please forward his
answer to this list (with his permission). Would be good for the archive.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People