Re: [LARTC] Re: What kernel and what options?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 06:36:36PM +0200, Clemens Sibon wrote:

> > In other words,
> > you need to recompile your entire kernel and not just the modules.
>
> I did a make dep, make, make modules and make modules_install.

Read the kernel-HOWTO, it takes more. You can check if you are running a
fresh kernel with 'uname -a':

 $ uname -a
 Linux hubert 2.4.0-test5 #1 Fri Aug 4 16:48:54 CEST 2000 i686 unknown

This means that my kernel was compiled on the 4th of August.

> I hope the depmod -a will fix things. Normally I am very happy with the
> standard kernels so I don't compile them a lot. Should check the
> kernel-HOWTO a lot more often I guess :-)

Be careful to keep a copy of your previous kernel!

> > AFAIK, FreeBSD's softnet doesn't offer a lot of options that our CBQ
> > implementation does.
>
> Yes it seems lots simpler with less possibilities. For some applications
> though all the options are overkill and all one needs is to limit the
> (overall) bandwidth to avoid large bills from providers not using flat-fee
> pricing :-)

Perhaps this will help you:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/cbq.init/?highlight=cbq

Does most of the simple things for you.

> Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will keep you posted.

Great.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People