[LARTC] Re: What kernel and what options?

Hi,

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 04:32:16PM +0200, Clemens Sibon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to get bandwidth-shaping but I get errors when
> > I issue the "tc
> > qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 10: cbq bandwidth 10Mbit
> > avpkt 1000" command
> > (RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument  error).
> >
> > I have enabled all QOS-options in the kernel (as modules)
> > and see a lot of
> > "undefined symbols" at boot-time. Should I get the
> > QOS-stuff hard-coded in
> > the kernel? Do I have to patch the kernel-sources (R.H.
> > 2.2.16-3 RPM)?
>
> No you don't have to patch the kernel, but I think you will
> not be able to
> insert QoS as a module into a kernel not prepared for this.
> In other words,
> you need to recompile your entire kernel and not just the modules.

I did a make dep, make, make modules and make modules_install.

> Did you run depmod -a to recompile your module dependencies?

Nope, will check that tonight

> If you did so, send your kernel .config, and we'll see if you
> are missing anything.

I hope the depmod -a will fix things. Normally I am very happy with the
standard kernels so I don't compile them a lot. Should check the
kernel-HOWTO a lot more often I guess :-)

> > Meanwhile, I am even willing to get shaping going on other
> > platforms. I just
> > installed FreeBSD 4.1 but that requires quite a lot of time
> > too :-(((
>
> AFAIK, FreeBSD's softnet doesn't offer a lot of options that our CBQ
> implementation does.

Yes it seems lots simpler with less possibilities. For some applications
though all the options are overkill and all one needs is to limit the
(overall) bandwidth to avoid large bills from providers not using flat-fee
pricing :-)

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will keep you posted.

Clemens Sibon